Thursday, August 18, 2005

Double Dragon (retro game)

Todays experiences of gaming then. Well, a few hours was wasted trying again to get Black and White to work with no results. Well I say wasted but I do have a much more efficient and very up to date system now. Still doesn't work though as many irritated frowns can tell. Only Black and White (have yet to test the Freelancer stutter but I think that'll now be fixed - finger's crossed), all the others seem to work fine. It's got me scratching my head and no mistake. To avoid getting too obsessed and this blog being renamed "Fuzzy's obsession with fixing his games" I thought I'd give us all a new learning curve to entertain. A friend recently suggested I go in search of abandonware or freeware games. Never one not to bother googling my first target is a game that had a massive cult following in the late 80's and early 90's. It rocked. Double Dragon was awesome. The graphics may seem a bit laughable now, but for the time this was cutting edge and has influenced a vast amount of games since. Just a quick look at these few shots gives an idea how many. There really is a huge amount of games (and other programmes) available if you're prepared to look for them for free that have now been given over to the public domain. Remember to keep your web-fu switched on though as some of them require complex installs and other such frown bringing things. I found an easily installed Double Dragon at the Games 4 Win ulitmate games archive. Be aware, the villians are a bit harder than the original and you'll need to go into options, set config, controllers, then define to set the key controls (no idea as to what the defaults are). I've left the rest of the settings the same and it works fine. Remember to ALWAYS check anything you download for virus' or other malicious ware before you install it. Anything I suggest will always be checked beforehand but I can only hold my hands up to anything I miss or if anything changes after I've checked it. Best to check for yourself too. Make it a habit. With that word of warning over, I'll bid you all happy hunting and gaming. Let me know if you come across any good stuff.

2 Comments:

At 2:16 pm, Blogger simply not edible said...

Ooh, I remember DD fondly. I only ever owned a GB version 'till I quite recently acquired a NES cart of it, and I must say - especially if you can do it in multiplayer - it still cracks me up.

And yes, the graphics were great then, and they still are in a retro way.

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

not tested the multiplayer aspect, but just looking through the options it does appear to be a feature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Google