Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Black and White and Alpha Centauri

Glitch from start-up sequenceI sat down and planned a marvelous article on Black and White today. An old game but a goodie and with Black & White 2 having just been fully revealed at the Games Convention in Leipzig 18th - 21st August 2005 it would have been good timing. Unfortunately technology had other ideas. I discovered rather nasty glitches...
Ok, that's probably a driver problem (also been suffering glitches with some video players). Just to make sure I try an uninstall and re-install of the game to no avail. Fair enough, I go off and get the latest driver (77.77 from Nvidia). I try an install of that and still no joy. Hmmm, well maybe an outside chance of it being codecs (I know that doesn't exactly make sense, but you never know). A lengthy download of the latest K-Lite mega codec pack and I try again. Again with the same results. All my videos play perfectly in all players now though. Ah well.
Alpha Centauri
Alpha Centauri is a logical conclusion to the Sid Meier's classic Civilization series. Having completed the space ship at the end of Civilization 3 the survivors find themselves colonizing a whole new, alien planet. Factions already decided en - route the rise to power quickly goes astray as the planet they have landed on slowly reveals that it has many secrets. An extremely well - written strategy game it gives massive insights into how all such games work. One of it's strengths (to make me still want to play it and write about it 6 years after it's release) is the ability to reset so many things. This adds massively to it's replay value and I enjoy playing it for new facets to the game each time I do. It's also a great world domination thing and the society has to be carefully managed to achieve final overall authority. It's no push over on the harder levels but if you can become proficient in all aspects of this game there is little you will not master in the strategy world. Add the extra benefit that being an old game it will run fine on older or lower spec machines and it's still a winner.

8 Comments:

At 7:42 pm, Blogger Writing idiot said...

i got them screen shots mate

 
At 9:38 pm, Blogger simply not edible said...

Strategy is not a genre I often frequent, what with my being mostly console based and all, but I do like the idea behind them. This one seems rather interesting, and maybe I should consider picking it up.

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

@ wolf - cheers dude, will be on msn tomorrow & can pick them up off you then. Lost all my save games/creatures to no effect :(

@ simply. Yup - it's well worth the £5.99 or so it is over here. You can do all the settings so you have to micromanage nothing - or everything. Very versatile.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger taylor said...

Alpha centari is the awesomest game ever
i agree with everything you said!
you should play a game fo it with me, my dad, and my bro. we love the game!

 
At 9:16 pm, Blogger taylor said...

ps: thia is Exodous

 
At 11:04 pm, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

It is a very class act.

(& I'd prolly be soundly beaten by you)

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger taylor said...

lol yaeh i am pretty good ^^

 
At 1:49 am, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Google