Saturday, July 30, 2005

Space Simulations.

By far the most impressive title I have seen in this genre is Freelancer. An awesome game. It merges several traditional genres to be honest, mixing role-playing with elements of shoot 'em up and of course, flying a space ship. Lots of spaceships. If you are old enough to remember Elite, a wire-framed graphic interface that at the time we all thought was so good it was like Traveller on a computer then this is the game that Elite wanted to be. I liked it so much it was my original reason to get BroadBand. Then I got heavily involved in Clan life online and ended up hosting my own 24/7 Freelancer server. All the online stuff is free after the original purchase of the game and having been at the centre of a massive Freelancer community for a number of years now there is a wealth of Mods, add-ons, walkthroughs, articles etc. Most (but not all) are found at Lancers Reactor. A thing that I and many others encouraged within the community was the sharing of knowledge and that has trickled down to being the norm at many places. There are still alot of secretive people out there though which is fair enough. Freelancer is a massive enough game to have lots of secrets. To the point where in one clan we trained our members to be able to cut it with the very best on ANY server (the Jedi Knights - hello to any who read this :)). It's not enough just to tell people how to do stuff in this game. You have to teach them, expanding on their natural talents and minimising areas where they're not so talented just like in real life. I like the game that much that the bug still very much has me, despite being unable to play online right now due to some kind of weird glitch with my pc (looks meaningfully at the box with an image of a large axe in his mind) years after discovering it. I'm impressed. Try it.

I'll also produce different reviews on some of the mods etc. here from time to time and, of course rant away about ... ohhh, lots of things about this game.

For now I'll organise my links into a Freelaner section and tell you a little about a place called The Nexus Forum Index. I first came across this place almost immeadiately after it's conception but was very restricted on the amount of time I could give being server police and moderator on two different servers. So didn't bother joining (sry). I thought it was a darn good idea then though as I do now. A cross server forum for role-playing and much more, in fact - in their own words:


"Everything here is the same as Siruis, and more. People can RP from different servers. I.E. People from Excelcia can RP with people from Asgard. You can recruit here for people from other servers. So if you need more members, come here to recruit, and get people to join your faction and server. Thats about it, any questions PM me."

Sirius is referring to the Sirius Sector the area of space that mankind fled to at the end of Starlancer, the precurser of Freelancer.

There are lots of servers Excelcia being sadly no more as a server, (or at least i've not been able to find it and get only broken links to their page. Looks like many servers still use this as a mod though. If you know I'm wrong on this - pls. let me know.) and Asgard being just a couple available. This is not a Massive Multiplayer Online like Eve & I'll review some of them over time as well. Freelancer servers that is, not MMO's. I've already played at alot but they constantly change like the web itself being in a state of flux and I'll try to keep things as current as possible.

And Nexus is at the beginning of it's life in web terms I feel. So good to know about.

Have fun.

9 Comments:

At 10:08 am, Blogger Professor Peach said...

Another Excellent article...dont' forget though that there was an excellent mix of roll-playing and general FreeLancer stuff on http://www.thelance.proboards28.com... the SPAM section's worth a read to ;)

 
At 10:23 am, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

lol

Actually i wasn't going to mention that until it was appropriate ;)

 
At 3:36 pm, Blogger Professor Peach said...

Ooops

 
At 3:46 pm, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

lol - nm

 
At 3:49 pm, Blogger Non of the Above said...

it looks at least as good as EVE & seeing as theres no monthly fee I'm more likely to get in one of those crates i see there than back in my old Rupture.

 
At 4:12 pm, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

Never tried Eve so can't really comment but know some Freelancer's who made the transition to Eve - and then back to FL dis-satisfied with what they found there.

The beauty of it is with all the mods available it can never really get stale. Just go onto the next mod.

 
At 7:14 pm, Blogger Non of the Above said...

ok ok ....

shall distribute the word amongst those in the PFJ still strapping on a vacc suit

 
At 9:58 am, Anonymous FatBob said...

hmm. ive put in a request, and been accepted as an official "Asgard" server host if i want it.
i just cant seem to put down "Nomad Revenge" by Sherrec, developed from "Evolutions" by pathfinder studios.

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger FuzzBuck Fuzz said...

Nomad's Revenge is awesome - not tried Asgard yet, but was considering it for my first review. Just have to get rid of my FL stutter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Google